Sunday, March 2, 2008

So last weekend I went to Salinas again for my descanso (and got the wedding pictures seen in the last post off Ariel's computer). It was a very relaxing descanso. We watched a bunch of movies because I brought a bunch of mine. Last time I was there Ariel was watching some horrible movie on TV, so I decided that next time I'd bring some so we could watch better movies. So we watched a lot of movies. They were also have a campana at the church. Campana translates directly to campaign, but it was really more like a revival. They had three nights of church outside, and brought in a guest preacher. All the neighboring churches came to support them, and not just the other apostolic churches, the baptists and nazarenos came too. I think they also invited everyone from the neighborhood. So that was fun because there was a lot of people there. I also went to see Juan Manuel and Darlen's house, 'cause I'd only seen it from the outside. It was very nice! (as I expected). I also talked to Evelyn and Alma, who are both going to start university in Rivas. Evelyn is going to study law and Alma is going to study tourism. So they said they might come visit me on the island (Juan Manuel and Darlen might too). And I also might stop and see Evelyn and Alma during descansos. It was a very nice visit and it was really great to just relax! Unfortunately, on Monday I got super sick, like a stomach flu or something. So the trip back was horrible, especially the boat ride. But I made it alive (although I was probably dehidrated at several points) and luckily for me Tio Paco and Rosa were on my ferry so there was an NPH transport waiting in Moyogalpa. So that saved me a taxi fee 'cause there was no way i was going to take a bus. I came back to the house, walked in my room and went to sleep. I got up for an hour or so (but still couldn't eat) and then went back to sleep and slept almost 12 hours. I felt better in the morning, but still tired, so I rested all day and started eating again. Wednesday I was feeling much better and worked in the morning at the school. I still ate at the volunteer house so I could be a little careful and then I worked here all afternoon planning. Thursday I was back to normal!

The newest development here in Nicaragua is a change in the school. Up 'til now (like I think I wrote earlier) the older kids (8th grade and up) went to school in San Jose. That was the situation when I left on my descanso. When I returned (and recovered) I discovered that they had decided that the kids were going to start going to school here at NPH because the San Jose schools weren't very good. Ok, that all sounded good. Now the question is, when? Well, it's not next year, or next semester, or next quarter. It's next WEEK!! How they are going to do this, I don't know. Apparently they're hireing teachers. They wanted to know if we had anyone who could be an English teacher, and we said maybe in June or July when new volunteers come. We all have very full schedules already. I could do it, but it would mean dropping all my aula de recurso kids. And there really isn't anyone who could take them on. I feel like helping kids with the basics in math and Spanish is more important than English. They can hire a Nica English teacher, which definately isn't ideal, but it's what they've been having in San Jose and it's better than nothing. Besides, I like my job and I'd rather keep doing it than change! So we'll see how this transition goes! The other thing that happened with this change is that the psychopedagogical team had to move out of our office because they need it for a classroom. We're supposed to get a new one, because the electricity shop is moving, but it's not gone yet. So we're temporarily storing our stuff in the beauty classroom (where they teach hair cutting and makeup, not in school, as a taller, or workshop). So hopefully we'll get another office soon, 'cause that's kind of important.

Yesterday (Friday) the kids had no school because of teacher workshops. So they relaxed all day and in the evening they had a karaoke event together. Today they're going to the beach here at NPH and tomorrow they're going to San Marcos (the finca) to play games and watch movies. So we should have a pretty relaxing weekend here.

1 comment:

Arianne Braithwaite said...

Hi Beth! Thanks so much for your message! I'm so glad your parents are coming in July! It's such a cool thing to have your parents experience your daily life there! That would be great to see you while you are back in Sioux Falls - I'm so glad you get to see Emily graduate. That's very special. I loved seeing all of these beautiful pictures on your blog! Also, reading about you watching all those movies makes me long for mine - ha! :) Take care, Beth. Love keeping in touch with you.